The best way to experience VR
Take your VR experience to the next level with superior quality, comfort and style. This bundle contains the Valve Index headset and the two-pack of controllers, which allow you to completely enjoy the best in class VR experience.
We've pushed visual, audio, and ergonomic technologies to create the best-in-class VR experience. Visual clarity isn't just about panel resolution. Multiple attributes contribute to how clearly and comfortably you see details in VR.
This product comes with a digital download code for Half Life: Alyx.
- Optimised pixel layout: The headset's dual 1440x1600 RGB LCDs provide 50% more subpixels than OLED, resulting in greater sharpness for the same rendering cost. In addition, the fill-factor is three times better than OLED, greatly reducing "screen door" effect.
- Higher frame rates: The Valve Index® Headset runs at 120Hz with full back-compatibility to 90Hz, as well as an experimental 144Hz mode. Higher framerates improve realism and optical comfort, allowing longer and more comfortable play sessions.
- Extremely low persistence: Valve Index displays have a reduced illumination period of 0.330ms to 0.530ms (framerate dependent), allowing imagery to remain just as sharp when your head is in motion as when you're standing still. This is a 5x improvement over first-generation PC VR HMDs.
- Optimised for FOV: The best way to improve field-of-view is to position the optics as close as possible to the eyes. Physically adjustable IPD (distance between eyes) and eye relief (distance from lens to eye) lets you optimize the field of view for your face. With these features, as well as the dual-element lens and canted optics, this headset provides 20° more FOV than the HTC Vive for typical users.
- Dual-elements lens: The custom lenses built into the Valve Index Headset maximize field-of-view without sacrificing edge-to-edge clarity. High geometric stability allows you to look around the scene by moving your eyes (not just your head) with minimal shape distortion.
- Canted optics: Instead of a mount perpendicular to the user's eyes, the headset's displays cant outward by 5 degrees. This improves outer FOV while balancing the inner FOV.
- Off-ear immersion: Designed to provide a more natural way to experience audio, Index Speakers do not touch the ears, allowing sound to freely flow and interact with the geometry of your own head and ears. With this ear speaker design, audio feels greatly externalized - virtual sound sources appear to come from the environment around you, rather than from inside your head.
- Long-session comfort: No physical contact means cooler temperatures and a huge improvement in comfort, no matter how long you play. Each speaker's position is also adjustable and can be moved to the audio sweet spot for all heads.
- Ultra-nearfield flat panel speakers: The composite honeycomb-panel speaker drivers in the Valve Index provide their full-frequency range across a nearly 180-degree dispersion pattern. This allows us to accommodate the widest possible diversity of ear and head shapes without sacrificing sound quality.
- Antimicrobial fabrics: The soft surfaces that touch your head and face are made with high-quality, woven antimicrobial fabric, which is soft on the skin and easy to clean. Ergonomically designed padding means the pressure is evenly and comfortably distributed.
- Adjustments for every head: You can adjust Valve Index for your head size, face angle, and ear position. Then fine-tune your visual experience with IPD and eye relief adjustments.
- Cameras: The Valve Index HMD includes stereo, global-shutter RGB cameras made for computer vision, enabling applications like high-quality stereo pass-through. We are excited to see what the computer vision community creates.
- Displays: Dual 1440 x 1600 LCDs, full RGB per pixel, ultra-low persistence global backlight illumination (0.330ms at 144Hz)
- Framerate: 80/90/120/144Hz
- Optics: Double element, canted lens design
- Field of View: Optimized eye relief adjustment allows a typical user experience 20º more than the HTC Vive
- Inter-pupillary distance: 58mm - 70mm range physical adjustment
- Ergonomic adjustments: Head size, eye relief (FOV), IPD, speaker positions. Rear cradle adapter included.
- Audio: Built-in: 37.5mm off-ear Balanced Mode Radiators (BMR), Frequency Response: 40Hz - 24KHz, Impedance: 6 Ohm, SPL: 98.96 dBSPL at 1cm.
- Connections: Built-in: 37.5mm off-ear Balanced Mode Radiators (BMR), Frequency Response: 40Hz - 24KHz, Impedance: 6 Ohm, SPL: 98.96 dBSPL at 1cm.
- Tracking: SteamVR 2.0 sensors, compatible with SteamVR 1.0 and 2.0 base stations
- Cameras: Stereo 960 x 960 pixel, global shutter, RGB (Bayer)
- Microphone: Dual Microphone Array, Frequency response: 20Hz - 24kHz, Sensitivity: -25dBFS/Pa @ 1kHz
Your hands, in VR
Designed from the ground up to enable natural interactions, high-fidelity hand presence, and long-term comfort.
Interact with your environment, objects, and people just like you do in the real world. Valve Index® Controllers combine complex sensor inputs to give you smarter hands in VR, unlocking a wide variety of new interactions, experiences, and gestures.
Low-latency finger tracking fosters deeper immersion and a wide range of gestures and expressions. Every hand is different, so the controller constantly re-calibrates itself to match your hand size and changing skin capacitance.
- Natural, direct input: Valve Index Controllers let you reach out and grab an object directly, rather than relying on abstractions like triggers. Hold up two fingers to make the peace sign, or drop objects by just opening your hand - just like in real life.
- Sensor fusion: Each controller uses 87 sensors to track hand position, finger position, motion, and pressure to determine user intent. All of these signals, combined with fine-tuned software and algorithms, give us a better understanding of how a player is holding and using the controllers.
- Throwing: Enabling natural and accurate open-handed throwing was a high priority for the team, and we used every sensor at our disposal. Optical and motion sensors provide velocity and trajectory, capacitive and force sensors help determine the intended release point, and our fine-tuned algorithms and software bring it all together into a usable input/output. The end result is an intuitive and natural-feeling throw.
- Open-hand interactions: The hand strap allows you to open your whole hand to drop or throw an object. This strap is easy to secure, and it adjusts at three points to fit a wide variety of hands - so you can focus on the game, and not hanging onto your controller.
- Long-term comfort: Since these controllers are worn instead of held, during a play session you can take breaks - fully relaxing your hands because they don't need to constantly grip the controllers. As with all Valve Index hardware, the controller straps are made with an anti-microbial, moisture-wicking, and easy to clean fabric.
- Standard gaming inputs: With a full complement of buttons, triggers, and thumbsticks, all of your favourite Steam titles will just work. With the new SteamVR Input System, developers and players can re-bind and customize controls for any controller with any game.
- Squeeze-ability: The main body of each controller is your grip input, with built-in force sensors tuned to detect a wide range of forces from a light touch to a firm squeeze. This not only improves natural actions like grabbing and throwing objects but introduces new interactions like squeezing and crushing. If a developer or player prefers the grip to behave like a binary button, they can do so with haptic output.
- Track button: The oval button on the face has force and capacitive sensors so it can be used as a trackpad, a scroll wheel, or as a simple big binary button with haptics. The force sensor enables analog actions such as pinching or pressing.
- Inputs: A Button, B Button, System Button, Trigger, Thumbstick, Track Button with Force Sensor, Grip Force Sensor, Finger Tracking, IMU
- Ergonomics: Adjustable strap with pivot, antimicrobial tech fabric
- Connections: USB-C, 2.4GHz Wireless
- Haptics: HD LRA
- Battery life: 7+ hours
- Charging: 900mA fast charging, 1100mAh capacity Li-Ion polymer battery
- Tracking: SteamVR 2.0 sensors, compatible with SteamVR 1.0 and 2.0 Base Stations
*If you are unhappy with your headset purchase there is a 14-day money-back guarantee. Terms and Conditions Apply.
For more information, please visit the websites below:
- Set-Up Guide - //steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/steam/apps/1059530/manuals/KitQSG_EN.pdf?t=1556842911
- Legal Manual - //steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/store/valve_index/ValveIndexSafetyAndMaintenanceInfo.pdf
- Refund Policy - //store.steampowered.com/hardware_order_terms