Terms & Conditions
- 'EB Games' means Electronics Boutique Australia Pty Ltd (NZBN 94290 37582 852), and includes all subsidiaries thereof, including EB Games and EB World.
- 'Product(s)' means all goods sold through EB Games.
- 'Preorder' means the ability to place an order for hardware, software, or accessories from EB Games before the official release date of that product, with payment made in full or in part.
- 'Membership Account' means an account created for, and assigned to, each individual Member upon completing their registration to EB World, whether completed instore, online via the EB Games Website, or via the EB World Smartphone App.
- 'EB World Profile' means a Member's online profile as accessed through their EB World Membership Account, via the EB Games Website or the EB World Smartphone App.
- 'Smartphone App' means the EB World Smartphone App, available for free download on Apple iPhone devices via the Apple iTunes store to members of EB World located in Australia.
- 'Digital Membership Card' means the EB World Membership Card provided to a Member via the EB World Smartphone App, in replacement of the physical EB World Membership Card provided instore. A Member is automatically upgraded to a Digital Membership Card when they log on to the EB World Smartphone App with their registered EB World email address and nominated password.
- 'Notifications' means in-app notifications received by a Member in the EB World Smartphone app.
- 'Membership Benefits' means the benefits set out in clause 6.
- 'Carrots' means "points" earned by Members in various ways as set out in clause 5.
- 'Member-Only Offers' means offers made available exclusively to EB World Members by EB Games from time to time.
- 'Receipt-Free Shopping' means the electronic storage of transaction receipts against a Member account, to allow for the retrieval of transaction details without the need for a printed proof of purchase receipt. Electronic receipts are made available to Members 1-2 days after the original transaction. Where a Member wishes to address an issue on day of purchase, a proof of purchase receipt much be furnished by the Member.
- 'Satisfaction Returns Period' means the time period during which a Member is entitled to return a Product to an EB Games Store for a full refund on purchase value or store credit, in accordance with the original method of payment. The Product must be returned in full, and in as-new condition. The Satisfaction Return entitlement excludes any Product with an online activation code and/or DLC content, as well as EB Games gift cards and POSA cards. The stated exclusion does not affect Members' statutory rights.
- 'Birthday Offer' means an offer from EB Games to a Member upon the date of that Member's birthday, as provided by the Member through their EB World Profile.
- 'Bonus Trade Credit' means the percentage by which EB Games will increase the trade credit value for Members trading in Preowned games and consoles.
- 'Level Up Bonus' means an offer from EB Games to a Member when that Member has reached the required Carrot balance threshold to progress to the next numbered tier of Member Benefits, as set out in clause 6.
- 'Extra Trade Credit Gift' means the amount of credit to be added to the total trade value of a Member's trade transaction.
- 'Early Preorder Notification' means a specified timeframe within which Members may be provided knowledge of selected preorder opportunities or other associated product information before non-Members, or lower-Level Members.
- 'Early Sales Events Notification' means a specified timeframe within which Members may be provided knowledge of selected sales events or other associated information before non-Members, or lower-Level Members.
- 'Preorder Hold' means the post-release time period within which a Member's Preorder product will be held available instore.
- 'VIP Event Privileges' means an invitation offered to certain Members from time to time by EB Games to: purchase tickets to, or attend, Events hosted by EB Games or third parties, as well as early access to EB Expo ticket sales; take part in selected Beta-testing events provided by game developers and publishers; and to take priority of entry over non-Members at selected EB Games Product launches.
Return to Top
- Membership of EB World is open only to natural persons who are New Zealand residents.
- Each application for Membership of EB World is subject to acceptance by EB Games at its absolute discretion.
- Persons under the age of 18 are welcome to join, however they will require a guardian to provide an acceptable form of identification to access certain features of the EB World program, and some services provided by EB Games
Membership Card and Account
- Successful applicants applying instore will be provided with an account number and a physical Membership card with a bar code to correspond with their EB World Membership Account ("Membership Card").
- Successful applicants applying online via the EB Games website will be provided with a Membership card with a bar code to correspond with their EB World Membership Account ("Membership Card") at their next instore transaction.
- A verified working email address, and a password you choose, is required to access the EB World Smartphone App.
- Successful applicants applying via the EB World Smartphone App will be provided with an account number and a Digital Membership card with a bar code to correspond with their EB World Membership Account ("Membership Card"). Members can choose to swap between digital and physical membership cards, depending on their preference.
- Members can access their Membership Account via the EB Games website or the EB Games Smartphone App to check their level of Membership and number of Carrots earned.
- To earn Carrots when completing a transaction at an EB Games Store, members must present their physical or digital Membership Card.
- EB World Membership Cards remain the property of EB Games at all times. The Membership Card is not a payment card.
- The Membership Card is for use only by the Member and is not transferable.
- Carrots have no cash value and are not redeemable for any cash or Product. Carrots are non-transferable.
- In order to replace a damaged/lost/stolen Membership Card, or to swap their digital Membership Card for a physical Membership Card, a Member must visit an EB Games Store.
- In order to swap their physical Membership Card for a digital Membership Card, a Member must download the EB World Smartphone App and choose to upgrade to a digital Membership Card in their Account Preferences.
- Some EB Games promotions and/or offers are only provided to EB World members using the EB World Smartphone App.
- EB World members using the EB World Smartphone App are able to access and shop on the EB World website within the App without having to provide their EB World credentials again. It is the responsibility of the Member to secure their mobile device in order to prevent unauthorised usage of the EB World Smartphone App.
Member Obligations and Responsibilities
- Each Member may have only one EB World account.
- Each Member must advise EB Games of any change of name, email address, or other details as soon as practicable after the change. Changes to the email address may be made directly through the Member's EB World Profile, by asking EB Games store staff, or by calling Customer Service. Changes to other details may be made directly through the Member's EB World Profile, or by calling Customer Service.
- act in a way that breaches this Agreement;
- abuse or misuse the EB World Membership or any Membership Benefits;
- engage in illegal or fraudulent activities;
- supply or attempt to supply false or misleading information, or make a misrepresentation to EB Games; or
- sell, assign, transfer or acquire, or offer to sell, assign, transfer or acquire any Carrots or any other Membership Benefits.
- EB World Members must not engage in profane, offensive or infringing conduct when using EB World or the EB World smartphone app. This specifically includes the Member’s choice of public Nickname and personalised EB World membership card image.
- The EB Games "Fair Use Policy" applies to EB World Membership Accounts. Actions which are found to be in breach of this Policy include, but are not limited to, where a Member's use of EB Games services is reasonably considered by EB Games to be fraudulent or to adversely affect the EB Games business, including, but not limited to the overuse/abuse of the Satisfaction Returns Policy, and buying and selling Products for commercial gain.
- EB World Members who make use of the EB World Smartphone App must take all necessary care to secure their phone from unwanted access and/or usage.
Return to Top
3. Suspension or Termination of Membership or EB World
If a Member commits a material breach of any part of this Agreement, EB Games may, without notice, take any one or more of the following actions:
- suspend or terminate the Member's Membership and/or the right of the Member to use the Membership Card;
- deduct or cancel the Member's Carrots or any part thereof;
- demote a Member to a lower Membership Level; or
- cancel or refuse to honour any Membership Benefits that have been redeemed by or otherwise provided to the Member.
- If a Member does not make a purchase with EB Games within a 12 month period from their last purchase, EB Games reserves the right to expire a Member’s Carrots, resetting the Member’s Carrot balance to zero, as well as demoting the Member to Level 1 Membership.
- If an EB World account has had no activity within a 24 month period from their last purchase, EB Games reserves the right to close and deactivate the account. The transaction history and other information recorded against this account will no longer be available to the Member.
- If a Member uses profane or offensive language or meanings, as evaluated by EB Games, within their public Nickname, their Nickname may be reset, and/or their account may be suspended or closed.
- If a Member uses offensive or copyrighted images, as evaluated by EB Games, as their personalised Membership Card image, their access to the App may be revoked, and/or their account may be suspended or closed.
- If an EB World account is suspected of fraudulent transactions, EB Games may, at its discretion, suspend or otherwise limit access to the account until the issue has been resolved.
- Suspension or closure of a Member’s EB World account for a Material Breach will result in the forfeiture of any offers and/or promotions available to the Member through the EB World program and/or the EB World smartphone app.
- EB Games reserves the right to suspend or terminate EB World at any time by providing not less than 30 days’ notice to Members.
Return to Top
4. Newsletters and Promotional Communications
- EB Games and EB World adhere to the provisions of the Unsolicited Electronic Messages Act 2007(NZ) for all electronic messaging executed by EB Games and EB World and sent to our Members.
In the event that a Member decides to opt out of receiving Promotional Material from EB Games and/or EB World, they may do so at any time via the following facilities:
- by visiting their EB World Membership Account and adjusting their preferences accordingly.
- by following the ‘Unsubscribe' link found in commercial email communications.
- by responding to commercial SMS communications with ‘STOP'.
- by selecting not to receive in-app notifications within the EB World Smartphone App, or by turning off in-app notifications within the iOS Settings -> Notifications menu.
- by contacting the EB Games Customer Service team.
- In the event that a Member decides to opt out of receiving Promotional Material from EB Games and/or EB World, it may take up to 5 business days for this change to take effect.
- Members agree to consent to receiving essential service communications regarding the state and security of their EB World Member account, as well as service communications regarding the availability of Products purchased by the Member, whether paid for in part or in full, which the Member has not yet taken final delivery of ("Essential Communication"), even if they have chosen to opt out of Promotional Material communications in their EB World Member Account Profile.
- EB Games and EB World take the utmost care to ensure that Member contact preferences are recorded and applied correctly when communicating with Members. In the event that a Member receives an electronic communication from EB Games or EB World which the Member deems to be an unsolicited commercial electronic message, EB Games will, upon being advised by the Member via the EB Games Customer Service team, make every effort to resolve the issue to the Member's satisfaction within 2 business days.
Return to Top
5. Earning Carrots
Subject to clause 5.2, Carrots may be earned by Members as follows:
- One (1) Carrot will be earned for every dollar spent on new Products at EB Games. Gift Cards will accrue Carrots when the Gift Card is redeemed, not at point of purchase. Deposits made on Products will not earn Carrots until the Product is purchased in full and the physical Product is received by the Member. There is no limit on Carrots earned in this manner.
- Two (2) Carrots will be earned for every dollar spent on Preowned Products at EB Games. There is no limit on Carrots earned in this manner.
- Two (2) Carrots will be earned for every dollar of credit gained through the trading in of Preowned Products at EB Games. There is no limit on Carrots earned in this manner.
- Twenty (20) bonus Carrots will be earned each time a Member purchases a Game Guarantee Product, in association with any software product, from EB Games. There is no limit on Carrots earned in this manner.
- Twenty (20) bonus Carrots will be earned each time a Member Preorders a non-exclusive edition of a Product from EB Games. Carrots are credited to the Member's account on completion of the purchase transaction. There is no limit on Carrots earned in this manner.
- Fifty (50) bonus Carrots will be earned each time a Member Preorders any Product EB Games deems to be an "EB Exclusive Edition Product". Carrots are credited to the Member's account on completion of the purchase transaction. There is no limit on Carrots earned in this manner.
- One hundred and fifty (150) bonus Carrots will be earned for 100% completion of the mandatory fields of your EB World Profile. This Carrot bonus can only be earned once.
- One hundred and fifty (150) bonus Carrots will be earned for downloading and signing in to the EB World Smartphone App, and upgrading to a Digital membership card. This Carrot bonus can only be earned once.
- EB Games reserves the right to change, from time to time, the way in which Carrots may be earned.
- In the event that a Member returns a Product to an EB Games Store, any Carrots earned for the original purchase will be deducted from that Membership Account.
- Carrots will appear in a Member's Carrot balance within 48 hours after a transaction has occurred.
- Members are responsible for ensuring that their Carrots are properly credited. If Carrots do not appear in the Member's Account, the Member should contact EB Games Customer Service within 30 days of purchase.
Return to Top
6. Membership Levels and Benefits
- Membership of EB World is divided into four (4) Levels, each entitling Members to different Membership Benefits as set out in clauses 6.3-6.6 ("Membership Level").
- EB Games reserves the right to change, from time to time, the Membership Levels, the qualifications for joining or remaining at a particular Membership Level, and the Membership Benefits for each Membership Level.
- Membership Level 1 is the entry-level Membership Level.
- Membership Level 2 is awarded to Members who have earned at least 1200 Carrots but less than 4500 Carrots.
- Membership Level 3 is awarded to Members who earn at least 4500 Carrots but less than 9500 Carrots.
- Membership Level 4 is awarded to Members who earn at least 9500 Carrots.
Return to Top
7. Zero Regrets Trade Policy
- 'we', 'us', and 'our' refer to Electronics Boutique Australia Pty Ltd NZBN 94290 37582 852.
- 'you' refers to the person visiting or using any of our services and includes EB World Members.
- 'EB World Members' means a customer of Electronics Boutique Australia Pty Ltd NZBN 94290 37582 852 who has a Membership Account as details in the EB World Terms and Conditions (https://www.ebgames.co.nz/terms)
- 'EB Games Store' means any of the stores operated by Electronics Boutique Australia Pty Ltd NZBN 94290 37582 852.
- 'Preowned' means a game purchased by us from you for an agreed price for the purposes of refurbishment and resale by us.
- 'Zero Regrets Trade Policy' means this policy, as amended from time to time.
- The Zero Regrets Trade Policy is open to all current EB World Members. The Zero Regrets Trade Policy entitles EB World Members to purchase a Preowned game, previously traded, effective from 10 September 2018 onwards, at an EB Games Store which is the same title as a game the EB World Member has previously traded, effective from 10 September 2018 onwards, for the price the EB World Member originally traded it in for, or the current sale price, whichever is lower (subject to any refurbishment costs as set out below).
- You acknowledge that the Preowned game is unlikely to be the exact copy of the game you traded and so may not be in the same condition as the game you traded. The Zero Regrets Trade Policy only applies where the EB Games Store has the relevant Preowned game available for sale. No holds are available for Preowned games you intend to purchase under the Zero Regrets Trade Policy. We can search and transfer Preowned games between EB Stores for you to purchase under the Zero Regrets Trade Policy. To be eligible to apply the Zero Regrets Trade Policy to your purchase, you must have been an EB World Member when you traded the corresponding original game and that trade must be recorded in your EB World Member account on our systems.
- We may elect to cease the Zero Regrets Trade Policy at any time without liability to you.
Fair Use Policy
We reserve the right to refuse to trade in a game or sell you a Preowned game, in our absolute discretion, where:
- we reasonably believe that you are buying or trading games other than for your own personal use (e.g. for commercial gain);
- you have already purchased the relevant Preowned game under the Zero Regrets Trade Policy (whether or not you traded it in again after the previous purchase);
- we reasonably believe that you are taking advantage of the Zero Regrets Trade Policy in ways that are unusual and excessive for the reasonable EB World Member and which may cause us loss or harm;
- the game is unavailable to us.
- We reserve the right to on-charge to you the costs of refurbishment for Preowned games traded in to us, in the event you wish to purchase a Preowned game under the Zero Regrets Trade Policy.
- We reserve the right to amend, suspend, or terminate the Zero Regrets Trade Policy at any time.
- We do not accept liability for any errors in these terms and conditions or in its content. We shall not be liable for any damage whatsoever in contract, tort, equity or otherwise that may result from the use of, or inability to use, the information provided here.
- These terms and conditions are governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of New Zealand.
Copyright and Intellectual Rights
- These terms and conditions are our copyright property. All rights are reserved.
- You do not have our permission to reproduce, adapt or do anything similar with the content of these terms and conditions.
- All rights in these terms and conditions including copyright, design rights, patents, inventions, knowhow, database rights, trade marks, source codes and any other intellectual property rights are reserved to Electronics Boutique Australia Pty Ltd NZBN 94290 37582 852. Any trade names, trademarks, service marks and other product and service names and logos displayed by us are proprietary to their respective owners and are protected by applicable laws. No licence or right of use of any other person or entity’s trade mark displayed is given without express permission. Nothing in these terms and conditions should be construed to suggest otherwise. The logo of Electronics Boutique Australia Pty Ltd NZBN 94290 37582 852 or any notices of proprietary rights on any content may not be used, removed, changed or obscured in any way.
Return to Top
8. Game Informer
- Members may progress straight to EB World membership Level 3 for a twelve (12) month period when they purchase a physical subscription to ‘Australian & New Zealand Game Informer Magazine’ for AUD $29.95 / NZ $39.95 (price subject to change) from EB Games. The Member will retain their current Carrot balance at time of subscription but must present their card at time of purchase.
- Non EB World Members may progress straight to Membership Level 3 for a twelve (12) month period when they purchase a physical subscription to ‘Australian & New Zealand Game Informer Magazine’ for AUD $29.95 / NZ $39.95 (price subject to change) from EB Games and register to become a Member of EB World at the same time. These Members will start at zero Carrots.
- The Members referred to in clause 7.1 and 7.2 will receive all the Membership Benefits of Membership Level 3 for a period of twelve (12) months, but will receive no bonus Carrots above and beyond the Carrots earned naturally over that period, as outlined in clause 5.
- If a Member chooses not to re-subscribe to Game Informer after the completion of their 12 month subscription, their EB World Membership Level will revert to the Level that corresponds with their current Carrot balance, as outlined in clause 6.
- A Game Informer bonus EB World Level 3 Membership is automatically activated the next business day after the purchase of a subscription to Game Informer. The Game Informer subscription is activated the next issue after a valid and complete subscription card is received by the Game Informer Customer Service team at the reply paid address provided.
Return to Top
9. Progressing through Membership levels
- The following business day after a Member earns enough Carrots to move up to the next Membership Level, EB Games will notify the Member of this event.
- For physical Membership Cards: once a member has been notified of a Level Up event, the Member can have their physical Membership Cards replaced at any EB Games store.
- For digital Membership Cards: once a Member has reached a new Membership Level, their digital Membership Card will be updated automatically in the EB World Smartphone App.
- In the event that a Membership is inactive for an extended period of time, EB Games may make administrative changes to the Carrot balance and Membership Level of an account, as outlined in clause 3.
Return to Top
10. Governing Laws and Disclaimer
- These Terms shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of New Zealand
- We recommend that you regularly check for any amendments to this Agreement posted online at www.ebgames.co.nz. Continued membership of EB World after these revised Terms have been posted signifies your acceptance and agreement to be bound by the revised Terms.
- Any provision of this Agreement which is or becomes unenforceable in any jurisdiction will be ineffective without invalidating any other provision of this Agreement, and such unenforceability will not invalidate that provision in any other jurisdiction.
- This Agreement contains the whole of the agreement between the parties, and all warranties whether expressed or implied which are not contained in this Agreement are specifically excluded from it to the maximum extent permitted by law.
- The trade laws for the State in which the Member is transacting must be adhered to when trading.
- EB Games shall not be liable for any indirect, incidental, special, consequential or exemplary damages.
Return to Top
If you have any questions in relation to EB World, please contact your nearest EB Games or EB Games Customer Service.